The Nordic Criteria for More Sustainable Packaging
In order to reduce waste from packaging the Danish healthcare regions have developed a set of Nordic
criteria for more sustainable packaging.
Deliveries for the healthcare sector come with large quantities of packaging. Packaging protects healthcare products, but also constitute a complex and comprehensive type of waste for the healthcare sector, with consequences for the environment and climate.
Developed in close collaboration with healthcare procurement organizations
The Nordic Criteria for More Sustainable Packaging for Healthcare Products have been developed in close collaboration with healthcare procurement organizations in the Nordic countries. Targeted for use in public tenders in the future, the criteria will be applied in tenders whenever relevant.
The Nordic Criteria for More Sustainable Packaging aim to:
- Reduce material waste
- Increase recycling
- Increase the usage of recycled or renewable materials
The packaging criteria consist of:
- A library aimed at the tender consultant on how to use the criteria. The intention is that the tender consultant can, based on a market dialogue, determine how mature the specific market is, and on that basis choose between different levels of requirements for the packaging.
- A library of criteria divided into three levels i) basic ii) advanced iii) spearhead criteria. The three levels are used depending on how mature the market is given the procurement situation. The criteria are formulated as either minimum requirements or as a competition criterion and are linked to relevant documentation requirements.
- A scoring tool which can be used consistently across suppliers for a single comparison concerning the use of packaging.
Download the Nordic Criteria (Full English version)
For further information on the criteria for more sustainable packaging and contact information, see the following:
- Nordic Criteria for more Sustainable Packaging in Healthcare (Full version, 27 pages, pdf)